APTA Virginia is a membership-driven organization and the only statewide physical therapy advocacy and education organization in Virginia. APTA Virginia was established as the Virginia Physical Therapy Association, a component of the American Physical Therapy Association, to build a community that advances the profession of physical therapy and improves the health of society. Our member base includes physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, students of physical therapy, as well as retired physical therapists and physical therapist assistants.
Explore APTA Virginia Membership
Our association supports you throughout your career with outstanding benefits and trusted content. We serve you through advocacy and public awareness. We empower you to make a difference through involvement. And we connect you to thought leaders and peers who share your professional interests.
Membership powers everything we do. It positions you to thrive —
and it comes with some great personal benefits and discounts.
Stay Connected. Participate in APTA Virginia's members-only special interest groups, find the right volunteer opportunity for you via APTA Engage, and take advantage of unlimited access to our website, packed with guidance from our subject matter experts and leaders in the profession.
Stay Current. Receive our monthly newsletter the Virginian, 11 issues per year of APTA Magazine, unlimited access to PTJ: Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Journal, APTA's official scientific journal, special Friday Focus newsletters, and full text access to research and articles from more than 4,500 clinical and academic publications through the EBSCO discovery service.
Stay in Touch. Attend APTA Virginia meetings and events, often at a lower member rate, and make meaningful connections and friendships.
Give Back to Your Specialty. Get involved in legislative and advocacy efforts to propel the specialty forward and support APTA's public policy priorities.
Advance Your Career
- Take advantage of free and discounted CEU courses in the APTA Learning Center, discounted in-person and on-demand courses in the APTA Virginia Education Center, or save on a continuing education subscription with MedBridge.
- Attain board-certification in one of 10 specialty areas (PTs only), improve your knowledge an skills in any of seven content areas through the PTA Advanced Proficiency Pathways program (PTAs only), or pursue an APTA Fellowship in Education Leadership (educators only).
- Find jobs and sign up for alerts from the APTA Career Center and APTA Virginia Career Center.
Students are the future of the physical therapy profession and a dynamic part of the APTA Virginia community. Student members receive a special monthly newsletter in addition to numerous other benefits. And if you're a member at graduation, you'll save on dues as you start your career. We offer numerous opportunities for you to get involved, and we provide resources to support you now and into your career.
- Students can attend APTA CSM at a discounted rate by volunteering to support the conference.
- Scholarships and Awards for students.
- Student progamming at Annual Fall Summit.
- Leadership and representation—Attend local meetings, join a committee or special interest group, run for office with the Student Special Interest Group (SSIG), or represent your school as an ambassador for the SSIG.
- Participate in research—Each Annual Fall Summit we have time dedicated to posters and platforms.
- Make your voice heard—Student members are encouraged to attend Lobby Day and take part in letter writing campaigns when advocacy efforts are announced by the chapter.
Save on Products, Services, and Events
- Save on membership! Graduating student members who participate in the Early-Career Discount Program receive a 50% discount in their first year postgraduation, with additional savings the next three years.
- Get a 0.25% rate discount on student loan refinancing from Laurel Road offered through the APTA Financial Solutions Center.
- Free consults and answers to practice-related questions from our Payer & Practice Relations Committee.
- Save 40% or more on the Combined Sections Meeting.
- Discounted individual CEU courses in the APTA Learning Center and APTA Virginia Education Center.
- Discounted registration for the Virginia is for Learners (VA4L) educational program.
- Connect talent with opportunity with the APTA Virginia Career Center.
- Free access to practice guidelines and resources.
- Save 15% on comprehensive digital marketing for physical therapy companies with Clinic Builder.
- Save 45% on combined application and exam fees for ABPTS board certification in any of nine clinical specialty areas.
- Save 40% on products in the APTA Store.
- Get the new APTA Mastercard powered by BHG Financial (and support the PT Fund in the process) and choose from personal and business loans designed with physical therapy professionals in mind.
- Get expert student loan help and innovative financial planning technology, including free customized coaching, with FitBUX.
- Coming soon: Journal clubs!
Get InsuredAPTA works with multiple providers for all your insurance needs.
- Apply for professional, business, and personal insurance options — including professional liability, disability, and auto — from HPSO and GEICO.
Help Create Positive Change
- Join an academy, participate in a special interest group, or a student special interest group.
- Join a committee.
- Get involved with a council.
- Engage in House of Delegates.
- Donate to PTPAC, the sole fundraising organization that supports and influences federal legislators in order to advance and protect APTA's priorities.
- Donate to the APTA Virginia PAC to advance health care priorities related to physical therapist practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Donate to the PT Fund, supporting our diversity, equality, and inclusion efforts through the Minority Scholarship Fund and Dimensions of Diversity Fund.
- Donate to the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research, funding physical therapy research grants, scholarships, and fellowships.
The majority of national, section, and chapter dues are tax deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense. Review tax information.
Retired from your practice? You're eligible for exclusive membership status!
Maintain Your Membership Beyond Your Professional Career
If you find yourself in early retirement, and have been a member for at least 20 years, Retired Membership might be an option for you—stay connected to, support your profession, and enjoy the many benefits of being a member, all at a reduced rate. Individuals who qualify for this designation will sign an official statement at each dues period for which the individual is eligible for Retired Membership, confirming that you are no longer engaged in an occupation related to physical therapy.
If you are at least 65 years old and have completed at least 30 years of membership, or if you are unable to practice physical therapy due to a permanent disability and have completed at least five years of APTA membership, you may qualify for Life Membership with reduced membership dues.