The John L. "Jack" Echternach Research Award, formerly the VPTA Research Award, was renamed in honor of John L. Echternach, PT, EdD, ECS, FAPTA, reflecting more than 30 years of honorable service to the APTA. It acknowledges his role as an exemplary educator, mentor, and role model for countless students of physical therapy. As a leader in the professional association, Dr. Echternach has contributed immensely to the area of ongoing academic and clinical research, presenting findings in both local and national forums. He has been an acknowledged advocate for the development of a professional body of poignant literature and research. The APTA has recognized him nationally through the receipt of various awards, including the Catherine Worthingham Fellows membership and the Golden Pen Award, for research and literary contributions to physical therapy. It was therefore deemed fitting and appropriate that our VPTA Research Award be renamed in recognition of Dr. Echternach.
The John L. “Jack” Echternach Research Award honors PTs and PTAs who promote and/or encourage research in physical therapy. The types of research to be fostered include, but are not limited to, academic or clinical research.
- Nominees must be PTs/PTAs who are members of the Virginia chapter of the APTA; and
- Member should not be currently serving on the VPTA BOD or Awards Committee.
What Recipients Receive:
At minimum, a certificate will be presented to the recipient by APTA Virginia's Board of Directors at an APTA Virginia event and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Current curriculum vitae or resume of the nominee;
- A letter of nomination that specifically focuses on the strengths of the nominee in relation to the award criteria, not to exceed 2 pages;
- Evidence of research completed (state or national level - presentation, platform, poster, or publication); and
- Documents outlining nominee’s current or past research projects.
Nominations must be submitted by February 1 to be considered.
For questions regarding the nomination process or an award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016 - n/a
2017 - n/a
2018 - n/a
2019 - n/a
2020 - n/a
2021 - Zachary Crump
2022 - n/a